The Transatlantic Trade & Investment Partnership (or TTIP for short) is a so-called ‘free trade’ deal being negotiated by the EU and US. The deal will give big business more power over our society, environment, public services, and democracy.
Shamefully, the UK government is a major supporter of this deal, which would tighten the grip of big business over our society. TTIP could:
- Grant corporations the power to sue governments;
- Lock-in the privatisation of public services like the NHS and education;
- Undermine workers’ rights;
- Undo regulations that protects the environment, giving harmful industries like fracking an easier ride;
- Remove food safety regulation to allow new GM crops, hormone pumped beef and chlorine washed chicken
Leeds Against TTIP is a hub for coordinating action in Leeds against TTIP! So far we have organised the No TTIP trail on the 11th October Europe-wide day of action, which was a huge success and drummed up lots of awareness and lots of signatures for the European Citizens Initiative petition against TTIP, which now has over 1,000,000 signatures!
Here are some links to some more information on TTIP:
Sign the European Citizens Initiative here: https://stop-ttip.org/