Friends of Leeds Kirkgate Market is a new group for everyone – customers, traders, citizens and visitors – who love Kirkgate Market and want it to survive and flourish in its present form and not become yet another bland and soulless shopping centre.
The market is one of the best things about the city because of its independent spirit. Nowhere else provides such a diversity of low cost, good quality produce and services with unrivalled advice from knowledgeable traders. It is also an affordable meeting place in a city that has lost many public spaces in recent years.
Despite its magnificence, Leeds Kirkgate Market has in the last years faced a range of threats which have put some traders at risk of losing their business affecting the market atmosphere.
There are lots of things that we can do and plans are already taking shape to improve the Market.
We have 5 aims:
- To help ensure that Leeds Kirkgate Market survives
- To see the market improve but retain its character and purpose
- To ensure the Market remains affordable and culturally diverse.
- To campaign for fair rents
- To make sure that Market traders and members of the public have a louder voice in how the market is run
We are very keen for people to join the group and contribute in any way they can to support the market.
This is how you can contact us:
Join our Facebook group
Follow us on Twitter – @FriendsofLKM